The overall purpose of the Friends of the Storey Gardens (FOSG) is to preserve and enhance the Storey Gardens for the benefit of the community.
FOSG are made up of volunteers from a variety of backgrounds with different interests and skills. The group relies on the work of its volunteers who contribute to the activities of the Friends in a number of ways:
- Giving a financial donation to support ongoing, long term maintenance of the gardens
- Spending time working in the gardens. We welcome anyone who is willing to give time and we have experienced gardeners who can direct those with little or no knowledge
- Co-ordinating the organisation of special events
- Photographing and documenting developments
- Raising awareness of the gardens by publicity through this website and social media, and staging special events in the garden
- Hosting educational visits by school children and other groups.
If you would like to work in the gardens see the section below for more information.
For other enquiries go to the Making Contact page of this website.
Volunteering in the Gardens
Friends of the Storey Gardens (FOSG) maintain the garden borders in The Storey Gardens and a small garden area behind The Storey on Castle Park. We look after the fruit trees, manage the wild flower areas and the paths in The Tasting Garden. Lancaster City Council is responsible for cutting the grass and undertaking any tree surgery work.
The gardening work is carried out under the guidance of our Gardening Coordinator. FOSG gardening volunteers come and work in the gardens whenever they have spare time, Mondays to Fridays during the official garden opening times. We do not hold specific work sessions but arrange to meet and work with any new volunteers.
We have a range of hand tools. Many of these are ordinary garden and woodland tools but still need treating with care.
Volunteers of all abilities are welcome and we aim to find tasks which are appropriate to you.
If you are interested in coming along to the gardens to meet us and find out more then please complete our contact form and we will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
You may click on the image below to see what we have been up to recently.